Friday, July 23, 2010

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

I love ice cream.  Love it.  I enjoy most flavors, but when asked my favorite I would probably have chosen something like double fudge brownie or strawberry…until I met this ice cream.  This is now, without a doubt, my favorite of all.  The flavor is amazing, the texture is perfect.  I could go on and on, but I won’t.  Just make it and see for yourself.  It is absolutely delicious.  I used the cream and whole milk version and was obviously happy with the result.  I can’t wait to try the variation suggested by David Lebovitz, caramel fudge ripple, but I also know that I don’t think anything can top this classic vanilla.
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Ingredients:
3 cups heavy cream, or 2 cups heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk
¾ cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
¾ tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Pour 1 cup of the cream into a medium saucepan and add the sugar and salt. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot.  Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.

Remove from the heat and add the remaining 2 cups cream (or cream and milk) and the vanilla extract.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.  When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean, and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment