Friday, July 23, 2010

Health Bar Crunch Ice Cream


Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream

Every once in a while (you know, like once a week), I get the urge to make ice cream.  I just don’t think I’ll ever get over my amazement at the wonderful ice creams I can make in my own kitchen.  I haven’t bought a single container of ice cream from the store since getting my ice cream maker!  This week when the urge hit, it didn’t take me long to decide on Ben & Jerry’s Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream.  I had several left over Heath Bars in the pantry from some cookies I made months ago, just waiting for their purpose.  Well, they found it.  This was fabulous as you might imagine.  I think next time I make it I may add even more Heath Bar pieces because I love a lot of mix-ins in my ice cream.  I know it is easy to buy the pre-chopped Heath Bar bits – heck, I have them in my pantry as well – but I think using chopped up Heath Bars is important to the texture of the ice cream.  The pre-chopped pieces are too small and fine but the actual bars contribute a nice amount of crunch.  
Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream
Ingredients:
4 original Heath bars (1 1/8 oz. each)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk (I used 1%)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
Using a sharp knife, coarsely chop the Heath bars into large chunks.  You should have about 1 cup (next time I’ll use 1 1/2 cups).  Place the chunks in a bowl, cover, and freeze for about 1 hour.
Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.  Pour in the cream, milk, vanilla extract, and whisk to blend.  
Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  After the ice cream has stiffened, transfer half of it to an air-tight storage container.  Top with half of the Heath Bar pieces.  Transfer the remaining ice cream to the container and top with the remaining Heath Bar pieces.  Mix well until the candy pieces are evenly mixed throughout the ice cream.  Store in the freezer until the ice cream is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment