Friday, July 23, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream


Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

chocolate-pb-ice-cream
I know I have professed my love of David Lebovitz and his book The Perfect Scoop many times, but let me do it once more.  One of the many great things about this book is that it has multiple variations of chocolate ice cream.  Of course, this makes me want to try every single one of them so that I can decide which is my favorite (if that is possible).  I have already tried the milk chocolate ice cream, which was fantastic and to this day is still Ben’s absolute favorite ice cream flavor I have made.  I also made the chocolate raspberry, which was perfect with some fresh raspberries on top.  Recently after working a shift in the ER I had a wicked craving for some sort of chocolate ice cream, so I flipped open the book and landed on this recipe.  I had all the ingredients in my pantry and it was quick to mix up.  I popped it into the freezer and ended up waiting until the next night to try it, but it was well worth the wait.  The balance between the chocolate and peanut butter flavors was just right, and the texture was unbelievable thanks to the addition of creamy peanut butter.  Next time I will make a double batch for sure!
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Ingredients:
2 cups half-and-half
¼ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
½ cup sugar
pinch of salt
½ cup creamy peanut butter

Directions:
Whisk together the half-and-half, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a large saucepan.  Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up).  Remove from the heat and whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Source: adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, Ten Speed Press, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment