Saturday, July 17, 2010

Peanut Butter Ice Cream


Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Celebrating National Ice Cream Month with a new flavor each week is one of the best chores I have ever created for myself.  I mean, does it even count as a chore if I enjoy it this much?  I asked Ben for input on the flavor for the week and it took him about 0.02 seconds to declare peanut butter as the winner.  I said sure, but let’s mix in some Reese’s cups and if I remember correctly, he kissed me right then and there :)  This recipe is great because if you are like us and consider peanut butter a pantry staple, chances are you have everything you need to make it on hand.  The only thing we needed to buy were the Reese’s cups.  (We don’t keep those around the house because let’s just say someone who shall remain nameless can’t stop popping them in her mouth.)  It seems a fact of nature that chocolate and peanut butter are a perfect pair, and this ice cream was certainly evidence of that.  I think the peanut butter base would also be fantastic with a fudge ripple – I may try that next time!
Thanks to all who entered the giveaway for copies of The Perfect Scoop last week!  I had such fun reading everyone’s favorite flavors of ice cream, and it gave me lots of inspiration for new varieties to try.
Without further ado, here are our winners:
#191 – Lucy said, “I’m all for trying other flavors but I still go back to chocolate chip, my all time favorite! Love your blog!!!
#409 – Lydia said, “I studied abroad in Italy in the summer of 2004 and I absolutely know I can attribute the majority of my weight gain to Gelato!! I for some reason REALLY loved the vanilla.. I don’t know what it was about it but it was just beyond amazing! (of course I cant even remember its Italian name).”
#175 – Shannon said, “My favorite flavor is actually a creation I make a Coldstone. I take the banana ice cream and mix it up with oreos, cookie dough and chocolate fudge. Tastes like a frozen banana! I LOVE IT.”
#567 – Erin said, “Mackinac Island Fudge!”
(Take notice for the next giveaway, all the winners answered the question I asked by listing a single flavor of ice cream ;) )
Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
¾ cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
2 2/3 cups half-and-half
Pinch of coarse salt
Dash of vanilla extract
1 heaping cup mini Reese’s cups, wrappers removed, frozen and chopped(optional)
Directions: 
Combine all of the ingredients (minus the candy) in a blender or food processor; and puree until completely smooth.  Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.  When the mixture is chilled through, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  To mix in the Reese’s, transfer the ice cream to a storage container and gently fold in the peanut butter cup pieces until evenly distributed.
Source: adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment