Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pie Crust Recipe


Many people shy away from homemade pie crust because it is messy and difficult. Well, you no longer need to be afraid. This recipe is fool proof, flaky and delicious!
Mom's Pie Crust
3 c. flour
1 ¼ c. shortening
1 t. salt
1 egg
5 T. water
1 T. vinegar
sugar, to taste *only add sugar if you are making a pie and not chicken pot pie

Cut together first three ingredients in a kitchen aid or with a mixer, do this until crumbly. Add the egg, water and vinegar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. After refrigeration cut ball into two equal pieces. Roll each ball out on a sheet of wax paper with a rolling pin. Roll until it is large enough to fit into a pie tin. Pick up the wax paper and dough and place it dough side down onto the pie tin. Slowly remove the wax paper from the back of the dough. This is a simple and mess free way to get the dough from the counter to the tin. Gently push the dough into the pie tin and trim around the edge with a knife. Shape the pie crust around the edges of the pie and bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. Makes 2 pie crusts.

One night I was babysitting two of my nieces so I needed a meal that they would love, that would be easy to make and very filling. I decided to make chicken pot pie and my pie crust recipe is great for this dinner. Instead of adding some sugar to the crust I add a sprinkle or two of garlic powder, italian seasoning and pepper. I make the full recipe and that is enough crust to cover a 9x13 pan of chicken pot pie.
My husband LOVES banana cream pie so I thought I'd surprise him that night with a special treat. Since I only needed one pie crust I let the children at my home use the remainder to make their own little treat.
I always loved when my mom had extra dough because she would let me make this cinnamon and sugar treat . There is no recipe for this and there is no way to ruin it either. Start by giving each child a chunk of pie crust. Let them roll it out into a flat circle. They will love doing something so grown up.
Then let each child sprinkle their own cinnamon and sugar onto their crust.Then have your child fold their circle in half. They can then sprinkle additional cinnamon and sugar on the top of their own pie.
Bake this treat at 375 degrees until it is golden brown. It is warm and yummy!
~Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment