Friday, July 23, 2010

Raspberry Ice Cream


Raspberry Ice Cream

There are so many amazing ice cream recipes I am still dying to try.  Each time I try to decide what to make next, I become so overwhelmed by all the options that I can hardly make a choice!  I decided that to make my decisions a little easier for the time being, I will take advantage of the summer fruits at their peak (and on sale!) and make those recipes first.  This raspberry ice cream was really delicious.  Ben says it is his favorite of all the fruity ice creams I have made so far (although the milk chocolate brownie still wins out overall).  I was apparently tired when I went shopping for this recipe, as I bought whole milk instead of half-and-half and cream, but it still turned out wonderfully.  Good texture and great flavor!
Raspberry Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1 ½ cups half-and-half
1 cup sugar
1 ½ cups heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
1 ½ cups strained raspberry puree
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions:
Warm the half-and-half and sugar in a medium saucepan.  Pour the cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.  Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.  Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream.  Mix in the raspberry puree and lemon juice, then stir until cool over an ice bath.

Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, but to preserve the fresh raspberry taste, churn the ice cream within 4 hours after making the mixture.
Source: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, 10 Speed Press, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment