Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Feta Hamburgers with Cucumber Sauce




Do you love feta cheese as much as I do? It is probably one of my absolute favorite cheeses. I don't know if it is the salty flavor or the smooth texture I love more--but, boy..it is delightful! I had ground beef thawed in my fridge today and I was dreaming of a feta filled hamburger. I have never had this before, but I imagined it being yummy! So..I did a little research and created my own recipe that was FANTASTIC! I even had a second small helping tonight because it was SO good (late night snacks are okay for pregnant people, right??).

Before I get to the recipe, here is a tip to save money on your bread budget. I didn't want to go to the store for $2.50 whole wheat hamburger buns, so I found an easy way around it. I was making wheat bread this morning and decided to make a few hamburger buns while I was at it. I used the same dough and just formed them into large roll shapes. They cooked up perfectly and made for the perfect INEXPENSIVE hamburger bun--fabulous!

Okay, here is my made up recipe for these fantastic Feta Burgers (play around with the amounts of items, I didn't measure, so these are just estimates):


Stuffed Feta Burgers
2 lbs. lean ground beef (ground turkey would also work great)
Montreal Steak Seasoning (good amount!)
2-3 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. garlic powder
2 t. dried parsley
1 egg
1/4 c. breadcrumbs
Large chunk of feta cheese (I prefer the Greek Feta that is sold at Costco in a large square block--it is softer and has better flavor. Feta freezes well if you won't use up the whole package).
1 package hamburger buns (or homemade) Brush each side with a little olive oil or butter and broil for 30 seconds to a minute until golden brown.

Mix all together (minus the feta) and form half of the mixture into 7 patties. Put a large chunk of feta cheese on top of each half of the patties. Put the remaining beef mixture flattened on top of each patty, covering the feta cheese. Grill burgers until cooked through on the grill (dust off the snow on your outdoor grill, it will be worth the effort to have the yummy charcoal flavor!)

Serve burgers on a whole wheat bun with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber sauce (below):

Cucumber Sauce (this is what makes these burgers)
1/4-1/3 c. mayonnaise (not low fat, you don't want a sweet flavor--sorry!)
1/4 c. sour cream
2 t. dried dill weed
1/2 t. garlic salt
Dash of lemon juice
1 small cucumber, peeled and shredded
Ground pepper
1/2 t. parsley
Salt to taste (it should be salty and tangy with the lemon juice)

Mix together and chill until ready to serve with burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment