Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chicken Reuben Sandwiches



Sandwiches are my favorite trick to getting dinner on the table in a hurry. Whether it is Chicken Pesto Sandwiches, French Dips, Monte Cristo Sandwiches, Ranch BLT Subs, Ham & Cheese melts, and so on..they are a MUST in our kitchen at least once a week!

One of my favorite sandwiches is the traditional Reuben. However, I am too cheap to spend the $5.99-$8.99/lb. for good quality sliced roast beef. I saw this recipe and new this would be the answer to my Reuben craving, on a budget! It was AMAZING!! I had to ration my kids so I could have leftovers for lunch the next day. I think each one of my four kids had TWO sandwiches--they were awesome!! (I didn't tell them they were eating rotten cabbage on their sandwich--why is that SO good anyway??)

Here is this EASY and delicious recipe:

Chicken Reuben Sandwiches 
8 slices of rye bread (I bought the rye loaf at Walmart for $2--it made enough for my family of 6, this is less expensive than the pre-sliced rye bread)
1-2 lbs. chicken breasts 
½ c. thousand island salad dressing (buy a good quality--I really liked WishBone)
2 c. sauerkraut-rinsed and drained (this only costs about $1 for a good size jar at Walmart)
1-2 T. butter, softened
Salt & pepper to taste
8 slices Swiss cheese (I buy the pre-sliced Swiss cheese and Provolone from Costco and freeze them in meal portions for my family in separate Ziploc bags-they freeze great!)

Grill (or bake/saute) the chicken breasts until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper or Montreal Steak Seasoning. Set aside to cool. While the chicken is cooling, heat a large skillet or flat griddle over medium heat. Brush 1 side of each slice of bread with butter, making 2 sandwiches at a time, place them butter side down on the skillet. Spoon some of the dressing on each slice of bread. Place one slice of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Slice chicken into thin strips and place about 1/2 c. on 1 piece of bread for each sandwich. Place ¼ of the sauerkraut on the other piece of bread. When the bread has toasted to a golden brown (check by lifting 1 edge) place the 2 sides together, remove to a cutting board and slice on a diagonal, once cheese has melted. Serve sandwiches with extra dressing if desired. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment